If you grew up going to Sunday School or have been around church long enough, then you're probably familiar with some Old Testament stories, like David & Goliath or Daniel in the Lion's Den. But do you have a good picture of the whole OT story -- all 39 books, from Genesis to Malachi? While studying some Old Testament materials online, I ran across this little mnemonic (learning tool). It's one of the best summaries I've ever seen for understanding the big picture of the story of God and the Israelites. I love it for it's simplicity, clarity, and accuracy. It's not going to win you any Bible quizzes (if that's what you're into), but it'll give you a GREAT understanding of the story that makes up 75% of our Bible.
It's called the 12 C's and it describes 12 major events in the OT.
- CREATION: The Beginning of the Human Race (Genesis 1-11)
- CLAN: The Beginning of the Hebrew Race [Israel] (Genesis 12-50)
- CONFINEMENT: The Hebrew Race in Bondage in Egypt (Exodus 1-19)
- COMMANDMENTS: The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20)
- CAMPING: Unbelief in God Forces Israel to Wander in the Wilderness for 40 Years (Numbers)
- COVENANT: New Generation of Israelites Are Exhorted to Love God (Deuteronomy)
- CONQUEST: Israel Conquers Most of Canaan Country (Joshua)
- CYCLES: Seven Cycles of Sin in Israel (Judges)
- CROWNS: United Kingdom under Saul, David and Solomon (1 Samuel-1 Kings 11)
- CHASM: Divided Kingdom Due to Solomon's Sins (1 Kings 12 - 2 Kings 16)
- CAPTIVITY: Israel Taken Captive by Assyria and Babylon (2 Kings 17-25)
- CONSTRUCTION: Judah Returns to God and Jerusalem (Ezra-Esther)
For all of you who like moving around, there are also some hand movements that go along with it: http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=7D7L7WNX