This is a companion article for my original post "Is it a sin to support gay marriage?"
Direct Teaching that Homosexual Behavior is a Sin
Israel's Mosaic Law (Old Testament)
- Leviticus 18:22 – "Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin."
- Leviticus 20:13 – "If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense."
- Deuteronomy 23:17-18 – "No Israelite, whether man or woman, may become a temple prostitute. When you are bringing an offering to fulfill a vow, you must not bring to the house of the Lord your God any offering from earnings of a prostitute, whether a man or a woman, for both are detestable to the Lord your God."
Paul's Letter's (New Testament)
- Romans 1:26-27 – "That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved."
- 1 Timothy 1:9-10 – "For the law was not intended for people who do what is right. It is for people who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy, who kill their father or mother or commit other murders. The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching."
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 – "Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God."
Indirect Teaching, Implying That Homosexual Behavior is a Sin
God's Original Design for Husbands and Wives
- Genesis 1:28 – "Then God blessed them and said, 'Be fruitful and multiply'."
- Genesis 2:24 – "This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one."
Misc. Stories and Teachings
- Genesis 19:4-9 – The story of Sodom and Gomorrah
- Judges 19:1-30 – The story of a Levite, his second wife, and her elderly father
- 2 Peter 2:1-22 – Teachings on the danger of false teachers
- Jude 3-23 – Additional teachings on the danger of false teachers